About Redwood Elementary's History
In 1840 a tiny one-room building served as the first school in this area with four students enrolled. The school was called Public School. Since this first school, there have been five more different school buildings, but all have been within a two mile radius of the present school. The second school was built in the 1860's and was called Milldale School. The area was then named after a local Englishman, William Redwood, who opened a small tannery shop and made shoes. In 1895 the school outgrew its building and was moved into the Redwood Church. This is when the name Redwood first became associated with the school. In 1899 a new school was built 1/2 mile from the church and was called Redwood School. In 1916 another school was built with an enrollment of 71 students, three teachers and a principal. The school housed students from First through Twelfth grade until 1932. At that time the school became an elementary school.
The final building was built on a 10-acre plot in 1939 and sits on the edge of the rich Mississippi Delta farm lands nine miles north of Vicksburg. In 1944 it was decided that Redwood would once again become a high school. Redwood grew during this time and during the 1957 - 1958 school year there was an enrollment of 555 students in First through Twelfth grade. In 1965, after Warren Central High School was built Redwood once again became an elementary school, housing grades first - sixth. In 1986 public Kindergarten programs began and kindergarten classes were added. In 1999 fifth and sixth grade students were moved to the newly built Warren Central Intermediate School on Sherman Avenue, and Redwood Elementary became a kindergarten - fourth grade school.
In August 2005 Redwood again became a kindergarten through sixth grade school.
In 2007 a new building was completed at the school that houses fourth, fifth and sixth grades.